Wednesday 23 March 2016

Pile of Poly



Wow! I've had comments. Thank you Choco and Lasgunpacker. It's nice to know that some of the things that I am thinking about have struck a cord with you.

So to keep a good thing going I have collected a big pile of polystyrene that I can use to build ruins. I need to think about how I want to divide up the pieces I have. I don't want to ruin them by making trash decisions. Planning and preparation is the key to a project like this. One piece is already broken which is a bit a of a shame. I'n sure I can work around that though.

I need to think about how I'm going to cut this polystyerem up. I might use a saw. Or i might use a bread knife.

I've also found out that this isn't normal polystyrene. This is expanded polystyrene. I wonder if I'll be able to get a hold of any no-expanded polystyrene for building ruins with? Can anybody point me in the right direction?

1 comment:

  1. EXPANDED polystyrene, which is used for packaging, is the sort of with the little white beads (from the expansion of the plastic foam). This sort is mostly useful as the underlayer of ruins fortresses etc.

    EXTRUDED polystyrene is used mostly for insulation (in large thick sheets) or in other sorts of packing depending on location (e.g. egg cartons and meat trays in the US, pizza trays in the UK), and as the center layer in foam core.

    Anyway, cutting both types is messy, and you want to do it somewhere easy to clean up. You can use a hot wire cutter for controlled cutting, but apparently a steak knife is better for quick shaping cuts.

    ReplyDelete